When it comes to divorce, finding the best attorney is the key. Unfortunately, opinions vary and what may work for one person may not work for others. The task isn’t finding the best; it’s choosing the best divorce lawyer for you and your situation.
Divorce can be a highly emotional time. This can make it challenging to focus on the important decisions you’ll need to make during this complex legal process. That’s why we want to share this helpful guide to finding the best divorce lawyer for you.
Things to Consider When Choosing a Divorce Lawyer
When choosing the best divorce lawyer for you, it’s important to do your due diligence. Speak to friends, relatives, and co-workers for recommendations. Search local listings and contact your local bar association to compile a list of qualified professionals in your area.
Make a list of potential divorce lawyers and begin to research your options. Explore the websites and social media accounts for your potential list. Some of the best attorneys will maintain a well-balanced website filled with helpful information.
Once you have created a short list of the top attorneys you are considering, it’s time to make an appointment for a consultation. Write a list of questions to ask during your meeting. These questions should include topics like:
- Availability – You’ll want to know how quickly your potential attorney can begin working on your case. You should also ask who will be your primary contact throughout the divorce process and how timely responses are. Will you hear mostly from an assistant or colleague or will you be hearing directly from your attorney?
- Pricing – Some attorneys will offer hourly pricing while others choose flat fees. Regardless of which divorce lawyer you choose, you’ll want to know how you will be billed for their services.
- Resolution Expectations – While each case is unique, experienced attorneys should be able to give you a better understanding of how long similar cases have taken.
- Success Rate – It’s important to ask your potential lawyer about success rates with cases similar to yours. While the outcome cannot be guaranteed, reasonable expectations can be made based on prior experience.
Understand Your Needs
Let’s face it; divorce lawyers aren’t one-size-fits-all. If you are getting divorced, it’s important to find the best divorce lawyer for you. Try not to make any rushed decisions about hiring a divorce lawyer. The wrong choice may affect the outcome of your divorce and your future. Instead, take as much time as you need to make a well-informed decision.
- Do you believe the attorney gave in-depth, informative answers in a way you understand and with which you are comfortable?
- Do you feel the attorney being considered will focus on your best interests during this process?
- Do you feel you can communicate well together during the divorce process?
- Do you think you have a clear understanding of the divorce process and what you can expect?
Choose the Professional That’s Right for You
Regardless of the choice you make, it’s important you make the best choice for you when hiring a divorce attorney. Remember: The decisions you make now can affect your future. Ultimately, choosing the best lawyer will depend on which lawyer feels best for you and your situation.
Engaging with an attorney to protect your family is never an easy step. Whether you need to protect your family from the unthinkable or restructure your family through collaborative divorce, we’re here to help. When you’re ready to schedule a consultation with Michelle Ogborne, please visit the scheduling page to get started.